Saturday 28 March 2015

The Irish Jewish Community: From the Holocaust to Ireland


by Emer Mooney
As an Irish citizen I have personally never experienced any negativity towards my own race or cultural identity. I would like to feel that Irish society has changed a great deal in the last 100 years in terms of tolerance to cultural difference.

Now when I reflect as an adult, I really appreciate the choice my parents made to place me in a non-denominational primary school. As child I never knew what religions my friends were: those who made their communion with me or those who stayed in school whilst we practised our prayers in the local Catholic Church. To me it was never something I questioned when looking for a friend to play chasing at break time and it was their absence that I noticed when they weren’t there to see my pretty dress on my communion day, but that didn’t matter to me, as I could show them photographs and tell them all about it.

When I made my First Holy Communion my Grandmother attended the ceremony and was without my Grandfather at the time. I was so overwhelmed with the whole day that I didn’t question his absence. It was only when my Mam told me when I was a bit older that my Granddad was Jewish and my Granny was Catholic and told me about how they met that I realised my Grandfather was different by religious definition to my Grandmother. This however as a child represented to me that it didn’t matter what religion you are, you fall in love with whoever you fall in love with. 

When I made the huge jump from primary to secondary school there were major changes and my priority was making friends. People who I spoke to from different primary schools seemed so similar to me, they were my age, they liked my new shoes and they shared the same music taste as me. In secondary school we took religion and history.

 In Religion class I first learnt about other religions and found out more about mine. All I had known previous is that I sometimes went to church at Christmas time but my family were not religious. In religion class we had discussions and I discovered just how many religions there are worldwide and in my own class, it fascinated me.

In History class we studied the Holocaust and it was my first experience of learning of how humanity can selectively choose a race and feel hatred towards them. It was a completely alien feeling to me, no two people are the same so why encourage similarity and exclude difference? Further in to study, I explored the obstacles the Jews faced with being prohibited from being practising doctors, journalists and other such professions amongst other prohibitions that we are entitled to by human rights and charged right out of their homes. 

As 1933 continued, even grandchildren of Jews were sent to the ghoulish prison camps, this fact really resonated with me. That could have been me if I had lived during the 1930’s, what would I do without my family or worse still if I had to bring up my younger sister in a prison camp without my Mam or Dad? Back then I thought: “At least I’m in Ireland and a horrific injustice would never happen in this country.” Little did I know that previously in Ireland laid Anti-Semitic views and violent behaviour towards Jews. 

For my Grandfather I can imagine Ireland was an extremely different place. My Granddad was born in Dublin after his family emigrated from Russia. Born in 1919 the Jewish community took his family in. By this time Dublin’s Jewish population was rising over 4,800, South Circular Road became a popular place to live for Jewish immigrants and had 6 surrounding synagogues for prayer. The 1911 census shows how out of 1,185 householders,329 were Jewish, like my Grandfather over 80-90 percent of the Jewish population surveyed in the 1911 census had come from the Russian Empire. South Circular road soon became known as: ‘Little Jerusalem’

They were not allowed to feel at home for long as in the 1940’s Irish anti-semitic views became broadcasted with Fine Gael TD Olivier Flanagan expressing that it was time that we ‘rout the Jews out of the community.’ This is a fine example of how another country’s definition of a community: the Germans on the Jews affected the majority of Europe.

The Dreyfus affair sent waves of fear and resilience of Jews across Europe; this included the Irish Jewish community. Most of this anti-Semitic thought was published and spread via propagandists in the Irish media. In 1933 DeValera rose to power in Ireland and Hitler in Germany, through the interwar years the Irish Jewish community blossomed and prospered with the number of Jewish immigrants rising along with the clothing market boom with the help of the Jewish tailors.

My Granddad was one of the lucky ones who had escaped being detained in a prison camp but he still faced discrimination in the country he had made his home in and raised his family. When he died at the age of 93, I think back at everything my Mam has told me about my Granddad and his family and what he must have gone through during those 93 years of his life: related to the memory foam mattress bedding business of Kayfoam Woolfson which by the year of 1987 was regarded as the biggest mattress company in Ireland.

I hope that he felt at home in Dublin because without his parents, my great grandparents, making the decision to emigrate to Dublin in the 1920’s, I wouldn’t be here today. Family are family despite any differences; be that opinion or race. When I have my own children someday I will tell them about their great grandfather and how despite being different to some; him and the Irish Jewish community overcame discrimination and choose and succeed to thrive in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment