Wednesday 25 March 2015

Racism in Ireland: It's Not a New Phenomenon


by Rachel Martin
As an Irish national, I haven’t personally encountered any racism towards my own race. I’m currently in my final year, studying cultural studies, I feel that the topic of ‘Racism in Ireland’ is an issue which needs to be addressed. As someone who works in a hotel, my colleagues as well as the customers are different nationalities and I have never experienced any negative incidents. I feel that working in the Irish tourist industry has expanded my cultural experiences. I would hope that Ireland is a welcoming place for both the non-nationals living here and tourists visiting. I wish I could say that racism doesn’t exist in Ireland but when I witness blatant verbal attacks on non-nationals, I have to disagree.  In my opinion, it is clear that racism is an increasing social problem within Irish communities.     

The majority of my family are Irish and from Dublin. However, my grand-father has extremely sallow skin and is often mistaken for a non-national. In the early 1990’s, my grandfather was waiting for my grandmother to finish her appointment in Holles Street Hospital. Normally he would walk through Merrion Square but on this day he took a shortcut and walked through some apartment block. As he was walking through the apartment blocks, he noticed four youths standing outside a small shop. The teenagers began shouting racial slurs in his direction, presuming he was a non-national and referring to him as Pakistani. Firstly, my grandfather didn’t realise that these racial remarks were targeted at him then he began to feel nervous. As the teenagers became more aggressive, using strong language as well as common racist phrase such as ‘Don’t be taking our jobs’ and ‘Go home to your own country’. It wasn’t until my grandfather spoke that they realised he was Irish; he walked faster through the apartments and felt threatened in his own city. As an Irish national, my grandfather had never experienced racism at this level. He thought of what it would have been like to be treated like this every day. He was shocked to experience the other side of racism in Ireland but they gave him a perspective that he was lacking.

Recently, I was on Dublin Bus on my way home from college and I witnessed a similar incident. Three youths approached a young black man, who was sitting quietly on the bus, and began antagonising him with racial slurs. Although there were other empty seats on the bus, it seemed that they deliberately pinpointed this black man. They began by speaking loudly in a fake African accent, what I believe was a deliberate attempt at getting his attention. However, the man carried on reading his book whether he was oblivious or choose to ignore these comment, I’m unsure. The man remained quiet and was clearly uncomfortable. They began using strong language and telling him ‘to go home to his own country’. I didn’t know what to do, I glanced over at a woman beside who looked equally as uncomfortable. I wasn’t sure whether to say something and risk the abuse being directed at me or just put my earphones in and distract myself. I’m ashamed to say I chose the latter. I was conflicted by the whole situation, part of me wanted to do the right thing and stand up for the young man but I felt that this might fuel their anger. The three youths got off at the next stop and I asked the young man ‘Is he was ok?’. I felt I should apologise for their behaviour as it gave a negative impression of Irish people. However, I didn’t say this as I didn’t want to draw more attention to him. The man carried on reading his book and looked completely un-phased by the incident. I was left with a horrible sick feeling in my heart. It was difficult to watch a group of people who believed they had the right and responsibility to say hateful things to a stranger, based on race.            
As I compare my grandfather’s experience in the early 1990’s to the incident within the last few weeks, it is my belief that racism still exists throughout Ireland. I found it worrying to discover that many of these incidents are often in daylight hours and unprovoked attacks. Why is it that these people feel that they have the right to attack a stranger? These attacks whether physically or verbally, are unjustified. Often the hard-hitting and most negative experiences come from blatant verbal abuse, but racism does not need to be overt. It is clear that these experiences leave a mark not only on the people they are targeting but the people who are watching. In my opinion, it’s difficult for Irish people to face the problem of racism as it isn’t a part of their everyday life. The sooner we begin to recognise it, the bigger the difference we can make.           

No comments:

Post a Comment